Pages

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Get the basics right

Well… I do have a problem of choosing a topic whenever I feel like updating my blog. Even now I have no clue what I am going to update but just want to start something so that I can pass my time in office. Ok, let me write something about the most important development that happened in India in the past week.

33% quota for women in parliament and state legislatures:


I am not against giving quota to anyone as long as it is effectively utilized, but the problem in our country is it is often misused. Politicians use this to garner votes, people just try to satisfy the minimum requirement to get a job or a seat in college having a thought that they can somehow get through the quota system. I personally feel that quota should be allotted to those who are sincere and hardworking and of course who are unable to sponsor themselves. It is these people who need quotas and not the wealthy people coming from the so called backward caste. Now let’s come to the 33% quota for women. I heard some experts speaking in the news channel that this is not a quota for women but a representation. I agree that women need some representatives for them in the parliament and state legislatives. But the bigger problem for women is not the lack of representatives but lack of exposure. It is this lack of exposure that holds them back from not being able to join mainstream politics and of course fear of fighting with male dominant counterparts. Before passing any bill on quota I feel, the government should ask 2 questions to themselves.

1. How are we going to ensure the safety for women in India?
2. How are we going to fight against the problems that women face in the society?

There is a common perception in our country that women are always dependent on male. I have heard people talking philosophy about this. They say women need dad’s security when in school, brother when in college, husband after marriage and son after she becomes old. I agree in the current situation when women are not safe in our country they need the security of their dad, brother, husband and son. But what have we done to ensure safety for women? The answer is NOTHING. I am sure if we get the basics right and set the things in order there will be women representatives in our parliament and state legislatures.

1 comment:

Sriram said...

Well said da...