Pages

Friday, December 28, 2012

THANK YOU SACHIN


The more I try to refrain myself writing about cricket, the more I am induced to do it because something or the other happens in the Indian cricket team.  But I never expected to write about the retirement of the little master so soon even though it is inevitable. It is been almost a week since he retired from the shorter form of the game, but the fact is it has not yet sunk in. Anyway better late than never and I would like to take this opportunity to say THANK YOU SACHIN.

Cricket even though is a team game, it was a one man show in India. As soon as Sachin gets out, India is bound to lose the remaining wickets in a heap. The 1996 world cup semifinal against SL is a perfect example of what was India in the early and mid 90’s. Until he was batting, the pitch looked a batting beauty and the moment he got out, India lost the remaining wickets as if the pitch turned in to a square turner. There are so many instances which prove “India is a land of billion people but its cricket team is a one man army called SACHIN.”  

Thank you Sachin for, you are an icon for many but for me, you are my Dronacharya. I consider myself as Eklavya who learnt the art of batting watching you bat. I am sure I am not alone and there are millions of Eklavya all around India. I remember people saying “I watch Sachin, not Cricket”.  There is not a better straight drive than the one coming out of the MRF bats which you hold. There cannot be a better back foot punch or the cover drive. I still remember the way you shook your head after hitting a six of Glenn McGrath in 2001. The straight six off Shane Warne in Sharjah, the pull shot over the mid wicket for six off Andrew Caddick, the six over third man off Shoaib Akhtar, the upper cut six off Brett Lee, I am sure there is no better sight than watching these shots again and again. Laxman is silky, Dada is god of off side, Dravid is rock solid and you are embodiment of all these 3 greats.  

Thank you Sachin for giving us such a wonderful memories. I have never seen a better human being who even after achieving so much is so humble and down to earth. I cried when I saw you shedding tears for the 26/11 victims, I cried when you were taken on the shoulders after lifting the world cup, but I should thank GOD for when you announced your retirement, I was not watching the TV channels, else I would have cried one more time. I don’t remember celebrating my birthday ever, but I have celebrated your birthday many times and the wallpapers and posters of yours in my room is a proof for this. I do not know how to end this but all I can say is THANKS ONCE AGAIN.

My brain wants you to retire from all forms of cricket for my heart pains seeing you struggle but somewhere deeper in my heart it wants you to continue playing test cricket for test cricket will be poorer without you.

India will miss SACHIN RAMESH TENDULKAR.


No comments: