Pages

Friday, July 24, 2009

Cooking..Its nice to learn.

Cooking is an art and according to me every person must learn how to cook. It indeed helps a lot when people move from one place to another in search of better opportunities. It helps me a lot especially for two reasons. First, being a vegetarian its pretty hard to find a vegetarian food here and second, even if I find a good restaurant its pretty costly for me and of course, its not advisable to eat outside daily. Before joining my first job, all that I knew about cooking was to make rice and hot water. It all started when I was posted outside my home town and absence of quality mess near my place forced me and my friend to start cooking. It was my friend who taught me to cook and I still remember the first time I cooked, I made Lady’s finger. It didn’t taste as bad as one would have expected. Initially, I was very slow in learning new dishes and I used to make a routine food with a vegetable and sambhar. As the days passed, I learnt a good number of recipes like palak paneer, veg pulao, kesari, more kuzhmbu, aviyal and few more. However, one thing I would like to try my hands with is a typical Rajasthani recipe.

It is always a fun when you cook along with people who are interested in it and I had such people in Mysore. We used to try our hands on various recipes especially during the weekends. However, for few months, I got fed up with cooking and eventually lost interest. Off late, I started experimenting again and started enjoying it as I used to before. I hope to try out new recipes in the future. If any of you know any do let me know so that I can try myself.

4 comments:

Santhosh said...

Very Certain barath... i miss cooking a lot... how many times we have screwed the reciepe up.. but neverthless each was a opp to learn more... kewl it was da... i wish i was there along with you guys cookin and experimenting :)

Unknown said...

@singularity
I still remember the way we made dosai tht day. the video is still available in youtube :D

Unknown said...

Absolutely! I still remember the Mysore cooking days. We managed it with very little stuff that we had :)
I am also like you..interested in experimenting...concocted my own recipes...the latest one is spinach rice (not the mundane keera sadham..lol) This one is definitely worth a try...I will email you the recipe:)

-Girish

Divya Mohan said...

Enjoyed reading this one! :) Happy Cooking!